Red Sox Chick/Toeing the Rubber

Because you always need a backup plan

Jim Joyce = The Best of the (Not Quite) Best!

He was so obviously out that it makes my heart hurt to watch this

This morning it was revealed that, in a poll Sports Illustrated took during Spring Training this year, MLB players voted Jim Joyce the best umpire in the majors with 35% of the vote. Everyone talking about it is mentioning that this shows what a good guy he is and how much respect players have for him given that he is the man who single-handedly robbed Armando Galarraga of a perfect game last season. (It’s worth noting that In 2010, after the blown call, Joyce won the same title in a similar poll.) He must be good at his job if he did something so terrible and the players still like and/or respect him, right?

The way I see it, this speaks more to just how terrible even the players think the umpiring is in MLB than it does how much people like Joyce.  I mean if the guy who made the wrong call that caused a pitcher to lose his perfect game is the favorite umpire of the players, what’s that say for the rest of the umpires in Major League Baseball? (I’ll tell you what it says…it says they stink like cheese.)

Advertisements

August 18, 2011 - Posted by | 2011 | , , ,

2 Comments »

  1. I would have to agree Cyn. I’ll take nothing away from Mr. Joyce, and I’m sure he is a guy that wakes up every day intending to do the best that he can. But umpiring in baseball, in general, does stink because too many of them make the game about them.

    But what does this say for the rest of baseball umpiring? If 35% of the vote is for him, then the other 65% is spread around to a lot of guys, meaning he really is a good guy. Maybe he’s just that much better than the others. Maybe the players know that he seems to be the most consistent of the lot. And that is worth something.

    Comment by VJ in Okinawa | August 19, 2011 | Reply

  2. Actually, I think it says that they realize that even a huge mistake like this one doesn’t invalidate what they consider to be day-to-day excellence.

    Not to state the obvious, but players deal with umpires a whole lot more than we can see. Most of us watch on TV and only see what the video director chooses to show us–limited in turn by what the cameras are pointed at. Doesn’t surprise me at all that players might have a different take on the issue than folks on the outside.

    Comment by KellyO | August 19, 2011 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: